Thursday, April 26, 2007

Famous Last Words



There are many famous last word of prisoners going to the guillotine. They can be funny, wise, or sad. Charlotte Corday went to the scaffold, threw herself on the bench, and said " is this what i have to do"? The Comte De Sillery had trouble climbing the steps to the scaffold. When he was told to hurry, he said" Cant you wait? After all it is i who am going to die. You have plenty of time". A man named Vigie sang "La Marseillaise" very loud not stopping until the knife cut his words short. Jean- Sylvain Bailly, the first mayor of Paris, was told to put on his coat to avoid the cold November Rain. He replied " are you afraid I might catch a cold"? A journalist named Jean-Louis Carra said "It annoys me to die. I would have liked to see what follows". Lastly, an attempted murderer named Giuseppe Fiechi was told to put a coat to keep from shivering. He then said "I shall be a lot colder when you bury me".

No comments: